The Jewish Link extends birkat tanchumim to Rebbetzin Marilyn Marcus, the entire Marcus family and the West Orange community on the passing of the beloved rabbi emeritus of Congregation Ahawas Achim B’nai Jacob & David (AABJ&D), Rabbi Alvin M. Marcus, מורנו הרב אברהם מרדכי בן ישעיהו.
Rabbi Marcus, z”l received semicha from the Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary of Yeshiva University in June 1952 and received a doctorate of divinity degree from Yeshiva University in 1983. He served as the mara d’atra of AABJ&D from September 1968 to early 1998, when he became rabbi emeritus.
Rabbi Marcus was president of the Rabbinical Council of New Jersey and a past president of the Council of Orthodox Rabbis of Metropolitan New Jersey. He was co-chairman of the rabbinic division of the United Jewish Appeal Campaign of the Jewish Community Federation of Metropolitan New Jersey. He was also active in the affairs of the rabbinic alumni of YU, where he served as president. He served as chairman of the education commission of the Rabbinical Council of America. Rabbi Marcus was a member of the board of directors of Daughters of Israel and served on the board of Federation. He was co-chairman of the Vaad HaKashrus of MetroWest. He was also on the board of the Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy and served as chairman. Rabbi Marcus was also co-president of the Joint Chaplaincy Commission, and administrator of the Kukin Society of Fellows.
May the mourners be comforted along with mourners of Zion and Yerushalayim.