Yield: 3-4 servings
2 Tbsp oil
1 small red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
½ tsp dried basil
¼ tsp kosher salt
• pinch coarse black pepper
1 (24-in) baguette
• shredded cheese
3 long wooden skewers
1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add pepper and sauté for an additional 3 minutes. Season with basil, salt, and pepper.
3. Cut off the ends of the baguette; discard ends or reserve for another purpose. Slice baguette into 1 ½ inch thick slices (you should have about 15 slices). Slit each slice through the top, leaving the lower end uncut.
4. Thread each skewer through uncut (lower) part of 5 slices. Add vegetable mixture and cheese into each slit. Place skewers onto prepared baking sheet, cheese side up.
5. Place baking sheet on upper oven rack (top quarter of oven) and bake for 4-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top of bread is slightly browned.
6. Remove skewers and serve mini sandwiches alongside a salad and dipping sauces.
Serve these sandwiches alongside a selection of dressings, such as our Creamy Parmesan Dressing on page 54, Pesto Mayo Dressing on page 56, or Garlic Dressing on page 62.
You can experiment with different cheeses inside your Hasselback Baguettes. We like Natural & Kosher’s Mexican blend.