My Favorite Easy Baked Fondue
- 24 hours before serving:
- 1 loaf French bead cut into ½-inch slices
- ¼ cup soft butter or margarine
- ¼ cup mustard
- 3 ¼ cups grated sharp cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups hot milk
- ½ t.Worcestershire sauce
- dash pepper
- dash paprika
- dash garlic powder
- dash onion powder
- dash nutmeg
- dash celery salt
1. Grease a rectangular casserole/
2. Combine butter or margarine and mustard in a bowl. Spread on bread.
3. Alternate layers of cheese and bread in a casserole.
4. In a bowl, blend eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce and spices. Pour over bread pieces. Refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake casserole 1 hour.
2. Reduce oven to 300degreesF. and bake 15 minutes more.
Cheesy Tomato-Bread Strata
This is a Grace Parisi Food & Wine recipe. Parisi a cookbook author Strata is American and was seen in 1902 but became popular in an 1984 cookbook.
- 8 thick slices sourdough bread, crusts removed and torn into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds tomatoes cut into 1-inch [pieces
- ½ cup chopped, pitted green olives
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 2 small minced garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups shredded Gruyere, Mozzarella, Gouda, Swiss or Parmesan cheese or a combination of them
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, toss the bread with ¼ cup olive oil. Spread bread on a
baking sheet and bake 10 minutes until lightly crisp.
3. In the same bowl, toss the tomatoes and olives, basil, garlic and ¼ cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add toasted bread and cheese. Toss well and transfer to a deep, glass pie plate. Drizzle ¼ cup olive oil over top. Bake in 435 degree F. oven until cheese is melted and bread is browned on top.
Serve hot with a green salad.
Peter Berley, a New York chef and cookbook author, adds onion, parsley, garlic, sage, diced tomatoes and feta cheese to his version.
Sybil Kaplan is a Jerusalem based journalist, author, compiler/contributor/editor of 9 kosher cookbooks (working on a 10th) and food writer for North American Jewish publications.