We all love summer and enjoy partaking in outdoor activities. But with the summer heat comes the challenge of trying to deal with good-looking hair hair while keeping cool. The extra weight of a sheitel can at times make the heat unbearable. Luckily, with the current trend of ponies and the many new types of pony wigs on the market, this summer you can keep cool while looking stylish as well. The pony wigs are designed to be lighter weight, with the wefts sewn in a circular pattern to allow the hair to be easily pulled up into a pony or bun. Investing in a pony piece this summer will keep you feeling cool while allowing you to explore and try out these trending looks!
- 1. The bandanna wrap: Simply tie your hair up into a loose bun and accessorize with a hair wrap, ribbon, scarf or bandana. Just make sure the fabric you use is soft. Pull out a few strands loosely to soften and accentuate your facial bone structure. For wig wearers, the ideal piece for this look is the updo/wonder-wig headband version. It allows the ribbons and headbands to stay flat and allows you to put all the wig hair completely off your neck while keeping you cool all summer long. This look is perfect for lounging at the beach or pool!
- 2. The twisted roll-up: For a cute boho look, wrap your hair around a headband. This works for every hair texture and eliminates the need to apply heat or style your hair or wig. If your hair or wig tends to frizz, this look is ideal for you as the hair is completely wrapped up, preventing it from frizzing! This style will work well with all types of pony wigs and kippah falls.
- 3. The wrapped pony: Take a thin piece of hair from your pony and wrap that hair around your ponytail. Fasten it with a bobby pin and spray with a bit of hairspray to keep the hold. This gives any pony a dressed-up chic look. This style will work great for all types of pony/updo wigs.
- 4. The fish-tail low wrap: Split your hair into two low pigtails, fishtail both pigtails and wrap them across each other, forming them into a low bun. Fasten in place with bobby pins and spray with hairspray. This look can actually work on any type of wig that has enough hair length!
- 5. The side braid: The side braid will gather all your hair/wig and keep it off your back. Start by volumizing the top of your hair using volumizing spray. Then create a side part and grab your hair lightly, pulling it to the opposite side of the part. Start braiding the hair with either a traditional three-strand braid or fishtail braid. Secure the bottom with some fun hair jewelry accessory to jazz it up. This style also can work on almost all regular wigs, pony wigs and kippah falls.
- 6. The scarf pony: The scarf pony can be worn in a very chilled low pony, or a higher pony for a more preppy look. The scarf pony is foolproof and super trendy. It’s so easy to do and anyone can pull it off using any type of solid or patterned scarf that will coordinate with your outfit. A low scarf pony can be done with any sheitel; for a higher pony-scarf look you will need the pony wig.
- 7. The braided halo: The braided halo is a classic bohemian style that can be worn at a fancy affair or casually worn for an everyday look. To create your own halo, part your hair down the center and make funky loose French braids on both sides. Cross the braids at the nape of the neck and add bobby pins to secure.
With summer in full swing and temperatures rising, using this repertoire of hairstyles will help to prevent you from feeling hot and sticky. While beachy, boho waves and mermaid hair are the most asked-for looks, the last thing you want when it’s hot is flat hair that sticks to your neck. Luckily, ponies, braids and updos are trending and you can beat the heat and keep hair off your face with some of these fun and easy-to-do looks.
By Sari Friedbauer
Sari Friedbauer is the owner of Sari’s Wigs. She is a licensed hairstylist and cosmetologist as well as a certified wig maker. She is available for consultations and can be reached at (201) 694-5319.