With so many variations on tomato soup, The Center for Kosher Culinary Arts (CKCA) has chosen to complement the tomato’s natural sweet acidic flavor with caramelized sweet onions and roasted fresh plum tomatoes making this recipe flavorful and different from most. While your taste buds take in the creamy flavor, you might want to have it with cheesy pasta but, it can be made parve and delicious to eat with any meat meal. With an immersion blender in hand you can decide just how smooth or chunky to make it, giving it your own personal stamp. Enjoy!
Creamy Roasted Plum Tomato Soup
3 lbs (6 cups) plum tomatoes cut in half lengthwise
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 (28-ounce) canned plum tomatoes, with their juice
1 quart vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
1½ cups heavy cream (to make it dairy, if desired)
1. Place sliced tomatoes on a cooking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Roast at 400°
for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until caramelized but not burned.
2. In a deep soup pot, heat butter (or margarine) and sweat onions with salt, pepper, garlic, and red pepper flakes until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
3. When tomatoes are roasted, add them and rest of the ingredients, except for the cream, to the pot and simmer for one hour.
4. Remove bay leaves and discard. Using an immersion or regular blender, blend ingredients to a smooth consistency.
5. Stir in cream just before serving (if dairy).
Yield: 12 servings
See more at: http://www.kosherculinaryarts.com/creamy-roasted-tomato-soup
The Center for Kosher Culinary Arts (CKCA) of Brooklyn, New York, is the worldwide destination for those seeking culinary education in an uncompromised kosher environment. Over 450 professional students have come to study at CKCA from all across the USA and from countries as far as Australia, Panama, Mexico, the UK, Italy, and Canada. CKCA is currently the only kosher cooking school in the United States, offering career training in culinary and pastry arts. CKCA also offers recreational hands-on classes in cooking, baking, and cake decorating classes for all ages and experience levels. Our chefs are also available for on-site demonstrations, private cooking classes and personal chefs for hire and organizational events. For more information about CKCA visit www.kosherculinararts.com. Contact us at 718.758.1339 or by email at info_kosherculinaryarts.com