Red Cabbage With Apricots and Balsamic Vinegar
- 6 tablespoon margarine or oil
- 1 red onion sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ pounds thinly sliced red cabbage
- ¾ cup dried apricots, sliced
- ¼ cup apricot preserves
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
➀ Melt margarine or oil. Add onion and first 2 spices. Toss for 1 minute.
➁ Add cabbage and apricots. Saute until well coated for about two minutes. Toss until juices are reduced to glaze and cabbage is crisp-tender, about 6-10 minutes.
➂ Season with salt and pepper.
➃ Store covered in the refrigerator if making ahead and serve warm.
Granted, it sounds like a rare combination but it does taste good! (I have frozen it and warmed it with no problem.)
By Nina Glick