For those who are unaware, Jordan Marsh was a well known department store in Boston. Apparently their “coffee shop” was best known for their blueberry muffins. Once I saw the recipe printed, I tried it and was happy to declare that they are pretty good!
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 eggs,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk substitute (or orange juice)
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 teaspoons sugar.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Cream the oil and 1 ¼ cups of sugar until light.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
4. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the liquid.
5. Crush ½ cup blueberries with a fork and mix into the batter. Fold into the remaining blueberries.
6. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill with batter. Sprinkle the 3 teaspoons of sugar over the tops of the muffins and bake for about 30-35 minutes.
7. Remove muffins from tin and cool for at least 30 minutes. Store muffins uncovered or they will be too moist the second day (if they last that long).
I definitely would freeze this recipe if it is being made in advance.
By Nina Glick